- Title IX reads, “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
- Sex discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual assault.
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, 20 U.S.C. §1681, and its implementing regulation at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX)
- WSU Executive Policy 15 prohibits discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct (including sexual assault, stalking, and dating violence). For more information, visit Executive Policy 15 Website.
- WSU Standards of Conduct for Students prohibits discrimination and sexual misconduct (including sexual assault, stalking, and dating violence). To view the standards, visit Standards of Conduct for Students.
The Title IX Committee is formally charged with advising the President of the University on matters relating to the University’s compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. These deal with nondiscrimination on the basis of sex in education programs and activities receiving or benefiting from federal financial assistance. Specifically, the committee is charged with monitoring, evaluating, and determining if sex equity exists in the areas of Financial Aid, Student Housing, Admissions, Intercollegiate Athletics, and Compensation, and with coordinating the university’s efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX and its implementing regulations, including the investigation of Title IX complaints. For more information, visit the Title IX Committee Home Page.
Information about the complaint process can be found at:
- Office of Civil Rights Compliance and Investigation Procedural Guidelines
- Center for Community Standards Policies
- Standards of Conduct for Students
Printer-friendly, one-page resources and processes flyers in PDF format for individual campuses are also available here:
- Pullman Resource Flyer (PDF)
- Vancouver Resource Flyer (PDF)
- Tri-Cities Resource Flyer (PDF)
- Spokane Resource Flyer (PDF)
- Everett Resource Flyer (PDF)
- Global Campus Resource Flyer (PDF)
The above resource information can also be found on our website by visiting the Resources Home Page.
Washington State University Amnesty Statement:
Washington State University (WSU) encourages students to report incidents of sexual violence without fear of consequences for having possessed or consumed alcohol and/or drugs at the time of the incident. WSU’s primary concern is to ensure the safety of the students involved and gather relevant information so the University can address the student(s)’ concerns. Generally**, WSU will refrain from imposing formal discipline for alcohol or drug use and/or possession under the Standards of Conduct for Students for victims and potential witnesses of sexual violence in order to facilitate reporting and resolution of sexual violence concerns.
This practice will not provide relief from disciplinary action for other alleged violations of the Standards of Conduct (e.g., hazing, theft, drug/alcohol manufacture or distribution). Moreover, students who distribute alcohol and/or drugs that intentionally, or through negligence, contribute to the sexual violence will not be granted the same consideration.
**In rare circumstances where CCS has concerns that a student’s repeat or severe misuse of alcohol or drugs will result in additional harm if unaddressed, the University may impose care-driven educational sanctions to address those concerns.
All documents are available in alternate accessible formats upon request.
Lead Title IX Coordinator
Director of Civil Rights Compliance and Investigation
Office of Civil Rights Compliance and Investigation
Washington State University
French Admin 225
Pullman, WA 99164-1022
Fax – (509) 335-5483
Deputy Title IX Coordinators
Dean of Students
Associate Director of Athletics
Title IX Liaisons
WSU Tri Cities
Student Services Manager
Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs
Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
WSU Global Campus
Director of Marketing & Student Services